WE WANT YOU
Get ready to compete at the pinnacle athletics event on the school athletics calendar.
Are you an athlete that:
- Wants to compete at a national championships
- Attends a school in the region of North Queensland (Peninsula, Northern, Capricornia or North West and:
- Ages between 12-17 for able-bodied students, and up to 19 years for para events between 12 and 17 as of the 31 December.
If so you may have met the selection criteria to compete in this years North Queensland Team.
HOW IT WORKS
The North Queensland Team, competing at the 2023 Australian All Schools Championships, will be selected from the performances of the North Queensland Championship, held September 22nd – 24th 2023 – Mackay. Selection will come from;
- U14 – Top 2 performances from a North Queenslander
- U15 – Top 2 performances from a North Queenslander
- U16 -Top 2 performances from a North Queenslander
- U17 – Top 2 performances from a North Queenslander
- U18 – Top 2 performances from a North Queenslander
Para events will be held at this Championship and selection will come from;
- U15 (2008, 2009, 2010) – Top 2 performances from a North Queenslander
- U17 (2006, 2007) – Top 2 performances from a North Queenslander
- U20 (Must not have turned 20 on or before December 31, 2023).
This new pathway gives extra opportunities to athletes from North Queensland by offering a chance to compete at the North Queensland Championships and then move directly onto the Australian All Schools Championships.
Those athletes wishing to compete for the Queensland team can still do so, with the selection held at The Queensland All school Athletics on the 2nd to 5th of November. North Queenslanders can choose what team they would like to be a part of and are not obligated to compete in the North Queensland Team if they wish to compete for Queensland.
Having this option to compete in either team does not take away the importance and prestige of representing their state at the Championships, but offers more options for those wishing to compete at this Championship, especially to those from regional and remote areas who can’t travel to Brisbane each year. This will also be an opportunity to showcase a North Queensland Team to the rest of Australia.
Club and School members are eligible to compete at 2023 All School Championships.
Athletics North Queensland have confirmed that school-based athletes, who are not part of a club, can attend the North Queensland Championships and be selected for the North Queensland team if they place in the top two at these Championships. These athletes can take out a school membership for $50 or join an Athletics North Queensland club.
School base membership offers a limited membership that covers insurance between 20 September to 12 December and gives access to competition at the North Queensland Championships and Australian All Schools Championships. These athletes will not be eligible to be selected for the Australian Track and Field Championships in 2024 unless they join a club.
Base membership details will be released later in the year.: