What is Raise the Bar (RTB)?
Raise the Bar is an exciting residential camp program specifically for Indigenous secondary school students in years 10, 11 and 12 who aspire to participate in athletics and further their studies post Secondary College. Athletics Australia, Queensland Athletics and Athletics North Queensland are pleased to announce our inaugural Raise the Bar Cairns!
As a senior Indigenous secondary school student...What's in it for me?
- Be mentored by Indigenous tertiary students who have walked the same path as you
- Meet new friends for life
- Learn from some of Australia’s best athletes
- Find out more about tertiary education pathways, thanks to TAFE QLD!
- Improve your athletics ability through our tailored daily training sessions
- Hear from Indigenous leaders and find out what opportunities are available to you once you graduate from school as a Raise The Bar Graduate
- Immerse yourself in leadership opportunities and transferrable life skill knowledge
- Benefit from a support system that will assist you in your next steps after school.
This residential camp will help you elevate your ambitions to pursue further education and continue participating in athletics.
The FREE program, including air travel, ground transfers, accommodation, meals and uniform consists of a four-night residence camp at the AFL Cape York House for Girls from, December 12th – 16th
By participating in the program, RTB participants will:
- Gain knowledge and skills in athletics – (track and field) as both an athlete and a coach
- Develop their community leadership potential and deepen their passion for athletics and sport
- Be inspired to successfully complete secondary school and pursue further education
- Gain knowledge and skills to pursue tertiary education pathways
- Be mentored by current Australian Olympians and elite athletes
- Connect with industry professionals
- Make connections with Indigenous business leaders and receive opportunities as a RTB participant
Key selection criteria
Up to 15 participants will be selected to attend the prestigious Raise the Bar Cairns. Program participants must meet the selection criteria outlined below:
- Be Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- Be in Years 10 11 or 12 in 2022
- Demonstrated interest in pursuing further education beyond secondary school
- Demonstrated community leadership skills
- Demonstrated interest in the sport of athletics
We encourage applications from:
• Indigenous para-athletes and students with a disability
• Students who live in metropolitan, regional or remote areas
Frequently asked questions
Where is Raise the Bar Cairns?
Raise the Bar Cairns is at the AFL Cape York House for Girls, 2L Portelli Rd, Redlynch QLD 4870
Who will pick me up from, and return me to Cairns Airport?
Upon arrival in Cairns, Raise the Bar staff will meet you at a designated place at the airport. Before you leave home, we will ensure that you understand how and where to meet designated staff. We will provide you with staff contact information in the case that your flight is delayed or if you have concerns during the commute. Once on the ground in Cairns, we will assist you in collecting your luggage and transport you to the accommodation. At the end of the camp, you will once again be transported by bus to the airport where program staff will assist you with check-in procedures and ensure that you find your departure gate in plenty of time for you to board your flight.
What adult-supervision is provided for my child?
Around-the-clock supervision will be provided to your child as soon as contact has been made with him/her upon arrival in Cairns. Residence managers will be assigned to students for the duration of the camp.
What type of student are we looking for?
We are looking for Indigenous Secondary School students who are passionate about athletics and determined to complete secondary school and have aspirations to pursue further education. We are looking for students that are looking for ways to better themselves in order to give back to their family and community.
When is the application deadline?
20th of November 2022
When will I know if I am selected for the program?
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by the 25th of November 2022
Who can I speak to for more information?
Rachel Dean, First Nations Coordinator, Athletics North Queensland email@example.com
Dayne O’Hara, General Manager, Athletics North Queensland firstname.lastname@example.org