Registrations for the championships are now closed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any nomination changes
Parents, spectators and coaches MUST preregister to attend this event.
Technical Officials & Volunteers nominate here.
Date: 2nd – 4th October 2020
The North Queensland Championships continues to be the Premier Regional Athletics Championships in Australia. With around 600 athletes competing, this event continues to grow with greater membership and athletes travelling to compete from outside of North Queensland.
This event is open to all ages and abilities who are members of Athletics North Queensland, Queensland Athletics or another Athletics Australia or World Athletics member. Multiclass athletes (Para Athletes) can compete in all events offered for their classification. ANQ is excited to include the new Race Running (100m only) and TF21 classifications into the Championship.
Athletes will be able to compete in most athletics events available worldwide, and includes the Queensland 1-Mile Championships, the Hector Hogan and Campbell Miles 100 Yards Memorial races which also double as the Queensland 100-Yard Championships, and the North Queensland Combined Events Championship.
Present government restrictions for large events means that the North Queensland Championships has been altered to ensure it can be conducted in 2020. If an outbreak occurs, or heavier restrictions are enforced additional changes may be implemented.
Athletics North Queensland has taken many things in consideration to be able to conduct this year’s championships, including venue restrictions, social distancing and hygiene procedures, understanding the priority to North Queensland athletes needing qualifications and the huge feedback received from those wishing to attend this year’s event.
Important changes compared to past Championships will include:
- Athletes 3-9 years will compete in all events on Saturday morning
- Multi-Class Athletes will be competing at the same time as the U18 age group. If there are large numbers in the events we will endeavour to add in separate events for Multi-Class athletes
- Combined Events will be held over Friday and Saturday
- No Throws Pentathlon, 80m sprints or 8-9 yr High Jump
- The Championships will run from 11am Friday through to 3pm Sunday
- Final timetable will become available on the 21st September
- All attendees, including parents, spectators and coaches must pre-register to be allowed to enter the venue.
- No one should attend if they have any symptoms, have been in a COVIOD Hotspot in the last 14 days or been in contact with someone from a hotspot in the last 14 days.
- Participants and spectators, at present, should expect to spend as little time at the venue as possible. Refer to the generic ANQ COVID Event Safe plan for more general information A separate Championship COVID Event Plan, taking into account expected participant numbers, will be in place for this event.
Qualifications for Nationals
The top 2 performances from ANQ registered athletes, who compete in their age group as of the 31/12/2020 will automatically qualify them for the 2021 Australian Championships, competing in their age group as of the 31 December 2021. This applies to ANQ registered athletes who compete between the ages of 11 years – Open
Non-ANQ registered athletes should contact their State Athletic Association for their qualification standards for the 2021 Australian Championships.
Athletes who compete in the U20, U18 and U16 will receive automatic qualification based on their age NOT their event division. E.g. Four athletes will receive an automatic qualification in the U18 age division (2 x 16 years of age, 2 x 17 years of age)
The Mackay Region can offer natural experiences, fun-filled adventures or pure relaxation with a backdrop of gorgeous scenery and amazing sunsets. A range of accommodation options for all budgets and needs can be viewed here
Memorial 100yard races